Winter can be challenging for drivers, especially if your car isn’t prepared for winter. Maintaining your car during the year can help with car safety and prevent breakdowns. By following this car maintenance checklist, you can prepare your car for the winter. This can help reduce the risk of breakdowns and accidents.
Here are some tips to prepare your mechanical systems for winter:
- Check the battery: Cold weather can put strain on your battery. Make sure your battery is in good condition and fully charged. A car battery generally lasts around 4 years, depending on how often you use your car.
- Check belts and hoses: Cold weather can damage belts and hoses. Check your belts and hoses for any signs of wear, including cracks and tears.
- Replace oil and coolant: Ensure your car has the correct oil and coolant. Extreme cold weather can cause your coolant to freeze and damage your car.
Tyres and wheels
Wet or icy roads can be hazardous, especially if your car doesn’t have the right tyres. Here’s what you can do to prepare your tyres and wheels for winter:
- Check tyre pressure: Driving with low tyre pressure is dangerous. Check that your tyres are correctly inflated.
- Check tyre tread depth: Good grip is important, especially during winter. Ensure you have good tyre tread.
- Check for damage: Inspect them for any signs of damage and replace them if necessary. Cracks in your tyres are dangerous and can cause a tyre blowout.
Your car’s exterior provides protection against the elements. Here’s what you can do to prepare your car’s exterior for winter:
- Check your windscreen for chips: Cold weather can cause chips to become cracks. Have any cracks repaired before winter.
- Replace your windscreen wipers: Ensure your windscreen wipers are in good condition. Make sure you replace them if they’re worn out.
- Check your lights: Check your lights to ensure that they’re working properly. Replace any broken lights.
- Fix scratches and dents: Repair scratches and dents before they cause further damage.
Get a Mechanical Warranty
A Mechanical Warranty covers the costs of specified repairs and replacements for parts of your car. Unexpected breakdowns can put a huge dent in your budget. That’s why it’s important to have a Mechanical Warranty.
Our Mechanical Warranty policy highlights include:
- Mechanical and electrical breakdown cover.
- Cover for cars of various ages and mileage.
- 24 hour roadside and medical assistance.
- Policies for all cars. Whether they’re still covered by an original Manufacturer’s Warranty, or not.